Sunday 9 February 2020

My excerpts for the RNA Scottish Chapter Event Sunday 9th February



SEVERAL BRIEF EXCERPTS from
Love’s Ransom by Gwen Kirkwood.
This is set in 1603 when clans made their own laws and raiders were hung if caught on another man's land. It is earlier and different to my usual stories.



 Isabella Ellwood was too tense to sleep. Every instinct told her something was wrong. Her brother, Jamie, should have been home from the cattle raid by now.

Isabella said, ‘Sam is more friend than servant.’

Alexander Latimer declared,‘He is fortunate then, but foolish to deliver himself, and you, into our hands. You must love your brother dearly, Isabella Ellwood.’

‘I know the Ellwood lands are near the border but I thought the English had ceased their reiving since 1603?
Most of the time that is so,' Isabella replied, 'but a family within our barony covets our land and – and more.’ She shuddered and delicate colour rose beneath her creamy skin. Alexander’s eyes lit with admiration. He understood. What normal man would not desire such a girl with her beauty, spirit and courage.
                                                  *****
‘I am here because you hold my brother prisoner, Sir. He is innocent. Your men crave the thrill of a hanging. Let them hang me instead of Jamie. A life for a life'
There was a gasp of protest from Sam.
   'First may I write my mother a letter?
 ‘You can read and write?’ Henry asked, his blue eyes alert with interest.
Reading and writing! ’Tis all the boy thinks about!Sir William said gruffly. He looked at Jamie. `Your sister will stay here in your place, but she will stay as a wife.’
A-a wife?’ Isabella’s eyes flew to Alexander’s face. He smiled with delight. Isabella knew he wanted her for his wife. Her heart beat faster, but it was not with the fear or loathing she felt for Neb Truddle. Sir William’s voice broke the invisible thread which drew herself and Zander Latimer together.

‘Instead of celebrating a hanging tonight, we shall celebrate a wedding,' Sir William announced.'I shall enjoy having grandchildren with your spirit , Isabella. Henry, you will have a more worthy bride than ever I could have found for you.’ 
  Zander’s eyes widened, then his face darkened.
   ‘Me?’ Henry’s face paled in shock and dismay.

  ‘Of course. Who else can give me grandsons with the Douglas name?



1 comment:

  1. I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $1,000 daily for a maximum of 20 days. I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $20,000. Mike Fisher Hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when using the card. get yours from Mike Fisher Hackers today! *email cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete